How to write an analysis essay and make the proper APA formatOctober 02, 2014 - Posted to Useful Tips To Improve Essay Writing Skills
Analysis essay as the next assignment! And, you have no idea as to what it means. Over that the instructions provided by the professor about the formatting has worsened the situation. We completely understand such a situation of panic, and for that matter here we bring to you most of what would help you understand an analysis form of essay-writing.
What is an analysis essay?
Analysis essays are required to be written when an object or situation demands a deeper analysis done. While you write your analysis essay, you need to know that you would be submitting your opinion about the topic, based on facts that you collect through your study. One could be asked to do any comparative analysis, or independent analysis of any issue. In any case, the method of writing an analysis essay remains very much the same.
How to write an analysis essay?
- To start with, you need a topic. Either your professor already assigned you a topic, or you have to pick one for yourself. If you are assigned one, half of the worry is taken off, while if you have to pick one for yourself you might have to be very thoughtful to pick something that you are able to collect a lot of data about.
- Making a thesis-statement is another most important thing. This would let the readers know about the purpose and scope of your analysis essay.
- Research very well to collect supporting evidences. Look back at all the rich studies that you may put as reference, and would be able to impress the readers.
- Make a rough draft of your document, including the introduction, thesis-statement including reason for picking it, your analysis, evidences to support your analysis, and conclusion.
- While you seek the answer for how to write an analysis essay, make sure to keep the key idea in mind while writing your essay - you have to support your idea with facts, as to why you have analyzed your issue in the defined way.
Analysis essay and APA format
If you have been asked to write your analysis in APA format, and you have already written the content of the essay, below key-points should be able to help you.
- Your entire document needs to be double-spaced, and should leave 1-inch margin at all the four sides of the page.
- The topmost side of every page should mention the name of the topic in all capital letters.
- Add a title page and an abstract before you start with your main body of the essay.
- On the title page, mention about the title of your analysis essay, your name, and the name of your school.
- The abstract page should summarize your study in not more than 250 words.
- While you format your essay-body in APA format, you may use the first person standpoint.
While you come to the bibliography, or the references' list, list down all the sources you used to deduce your analysis. In APA format, the sequence of referencing remains like this - author's last name, comma, first name, full stop, second name, full stop, year of publication in parentheses, full stop, resource-title in italics, full stop, city name, comma, state, colon, name of the publisher, full stop.